Sunday, February 9, 2014

Sober Day #103- Settling In

Today I am settling in for the journey to 180 days and beyond.  This is no longer a temporary experiment.  I do intend to sample wine again, in the undetermined future-  but, as you know, when I considered if this was the right time, and tried hard to listen to my most authentic voice, the answer was a pretty certain:  No, not now.

Now even my subconscious is chiming in.  I had a dream where Mister and I were out for breakfast, and each had white wine that came in a little airplane-sized bottle.  (And he almost NEVER drinks white wine- pretty much a red only sorta guy).  And wine with breakfast?  Maybe once or twice in my entire life!  I finished mine and was eyeing his.  We were then back at home, and I felt back in the grip of that Gotta-Have-MORE-Right-Now feeling.  I was frantically searching around the house for any forgotten wine.  I knew we were expecting friends in a little bit, and was trying to figure how I could obtain more wine before they arrived.  It was that really intense, driven, nonsensical but compelling feeling of Needing More Wine-    Even in the dream I was aware of being just past 100 days with no alcohol-  but far from feeling ashamed of drinking when I planned not to, I just felt cunning, devious.  How was I going to successfully get MORE???  And how was I going to hide this drinking from anyone else who might care.

Waking up from that dream was quite a relief.  I'd forgotten how intense that Want More Now feeling could be.  On waking, I felt a little bit of resentment that my current decision means I couldn't go do just that, the mindless escape from anything real.  But even more overwhelming was my relief and gratitude that my being is really NOT tuned into that channel anymore.  And I appreciate that dream for reminding me just how bad it was.

For that dream to come from my subconscious, I know the roots of my bad habit of drinking run very deep.  And they will be there for quite a while yet.  They (AKA Wolfie) will be trying to send up a little green shoot here, a tender little morsel there.  And until this is gone, roots and all, I won't be trying alcohol again.  Perhaps that means never ever, perhaps not.  But the occurance of this dream confirms my decision to make 2014 alcohol-free for me.


6 comments:

  1. 103. Woo-hoo!!!!! The dreams are always a good peek into the past, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a good reminder of the past- hopefully not predicting the future. But, day by day, this abstinence adds up!

      Delete
  2. It is so much easier when we take the option off the table isn't it? Glad you remain happy about your decision :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lucy, it IS easier having decided to continue not-drinking for 2014- putting off the decision about what to do next until next year!

      Delete
  3. Glad you're on the 180 journey, it's even easier than 100. I love that about time. I hate that it passes so quickly but love that as it passes things get easier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Sharon- I love your encouragement!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear about your journey, and hear your take on my journey. Comments are very welcome!!